The last time I went home, my mom and I made these yummy cookies from my childhood. You know when you taste something, and it brings back all kinds of memories from when you were young! Well these did it for me! I still remember my mama making them and how much I loved them. They are a soft, melt in your mouth cookie with a yummy sweet orange glaze (and I guess you could say nutritious--minus the shortening). I have been eating way to many of them lately!
Carrot Cookies
Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked, mashed carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Orange Icing, below
Preparation:
Beat shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg, carrots and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into carrot mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped nuts, if using. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
Ice cookies with Orange Icing while still warm.
Ice cookies with Orange Icing while still warm.
Orange Icing
- Juice of 1/2 orange (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

YUM!!!!! I may just have to bake some of these:-) Miss you guys! xoxo
ReplyDelete