Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Discipline of Memorizing


I have never been good at memorizing. Growing up, my mother would spend hours working with me when I needed to memorize or know certain notes for tests in school. It was always very frustrating for me because it was hard, and thus I really didn't enjoy it!

Therefore, when it comes to Scripture memorization, naturally, it is not an easy task for me. And honestly, over the past few years, since being out of "Christian school" where it was required to memorize Scripture, I have quietly slipped by this task that is a magnificent part of our Christian walk. I have avoided it by filling my time with other things, ignoring the conviction, or simply by forgetting about it.

However, a few weeks ago, I made up my mind that I was going to buckle down and finally be disciplined about it. What a blessing it has been as I meditate on God's words to me personally and fill my mind with truth.

God's Word should ever be on our hearts--for us to live a pure and holy life.
Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

Psalm 119:9 "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word."

We are called to be committed with this discipline, and the Lord will use it for his purpose in us and in others.
Philippians 2:12 "Continually work out your faith with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his purpose."

The Word of God is also our offense against our enemy. All of the other pieces of the armor of God are defensive, but this is our way to go after the devil when he attacks us.
Ephesians 6:17b "Take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

As I think about God's Word, the thought crosses my mind as to if I will always be able to hold it in my hands. What if I was persecuted for my faith and put in jail without my Bible. How much of God's Word would I know by heart?

No matter how hard this discipline may be for me, I pray that I become more committed each day "to work out my faith with fear and trembling." May he use it for his glory.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.....while I do not find memorizing difficult....I have definately not made it a priority in my life. Now as I see my Abbigail memorizing, I try to do it along with her and also push myself to remember references so that I can point her to see things in the Scriptures. It's definately a tough discipline.

    ReplyDelete