Friday, April 2, 2010

Bunnies verses Lambs


This Easter, I have been trying to think about alternative Easter activities and decorations different from the secular form of "Easter."  I heard of an idea from my mom's friend to use lambs instead of bunnies to decorate with.  I really liked this idea--After all....Lambs refer to the "Lamb of God" that was slayed for our sins on the cross.  This is why I celebrate Easter....reflecting on Jesus' death on the cross and celebrating his resurrection!  So, this year, I have been trying to collect some lambs (which is definitely more challenging to find amidst the aisles and aisles of bunnies, eggs, and baby chicks.)  However, I have found that Hobby Lobby carries several different lambs and sheep figurines.

In addition to decorating with lambs, I have also come upon some neat activities to use--different than the typical egg hunt and dying.  Check out these websites.  The first is for a Faith Cake, and the second, for Jesus eggs.

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2009/12/faith-cake-tutorial.html


http://jeannewinters.blogspot.com/2009/03/jesus-easter-eggs.html





So do I think it is wrong if you have bunnies and egg baskets in your house.  Oh no.  I still have a few myself.  In fact, above is a picture of the cake I grew up making with my mom.  I even made one this year for some friends with kids, just because I still love making it.   I am just trying to direct the focus of Easter in our home towards our Savior, especially thinking towards our future family and what values and traditions we want to instill in them.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I agree fully - nothing wrong with Easter baskets and such - but that shouldn't be the focus. I can't wait to show Abbigail the Resurrection Eggs and maybe even try those Jesus eggs :)

    ReplyDelete