Sunday, October 3, 2010

Celebrating 3 Years Together







September 22 was our traveling day to Houston for Eric's check-ups.  However, we found lots of ways to make it special and had a great anniversary!!!  On our way down, we reminisced about our 3 years of marriage and the highlights in it.  


We both agreed that the first part and the most recent part were the best times in our three years.  When we first got married and moved straight to Minot, our new life was beginning together.  It was so fun to finally be living in the same town and see each other every day.  Getting to set up our house, develop traditions, explore a new city (and climate) and just be together was amazing.  During this first part of marriage, we also met our wonderful friends Matt and Coreen who became one of the biggest reasons our time in Minot was so good.  We will always treasure the time we had together with their family.

I can honestly say that the last 4 months has been the best thing for our marriage. I know that I personally have never loved, respected, or adored my husband more than I have through our recent trials.  I loved Eric before, but never adored him like I do now.  Seeing him face the biggest challenge in his life with his cancer has made me respect his character to the highest extent--as I have seen him completely fix his eyes on Jesus.  I see him wake up in the morning with a positive attitude, encourage me when I start comparing or questioning our pain, and even said to me once, " I feel privileged that God chose me for this."  Not only that, but I have come to realize even more how perfectly God created him for me.  The way he serves me, provides for me, and shows his love to me, fully reminds me of this.  Yes, we have dealt with many many doctors appointments, chemo treatments, and our share of hard days in the past 4 months.  However, I have truly been thankful for the time we have been able to spend together—as he has not been able to work.  I know I will cry when he goes back to work permanently because I am so used to having him home with me. 

No, I would not have chosen this path for our 3rd year of marriage, but I also wouldn't trade it.  I think before, I would have gone on with my life just mediocrely....never fully realizing the preciousness of life, the moments, or the people in it.  I would have continued getting mad at my husband for stupid things that I realize now are NOT worth it!!  I would not have treasured each moment that we had together--times like laying in bed with my husband.  When he was first sick, he was up all night trying to find a comfortable position, often ending up on the recliner, which was followed by 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital.  When I eat a meal now, I am grateful for someone to share it with, as Eric literally couldn’t eat for 1 ½ months.  I now treasure when he can come to church with me and sit next to me, as he can only go every other week with chemo treatment.   Before, I would get frustrated when Eric got home late or worked a lot.  Now, I would take any of that back because it would mean that my husband wasn’t home sick with cancer. 

I hope I never lose the outlook on life I've come to know and always remain thankful for not only my husband, but every person in my life.  We never know how long we will have the ones we love with us, or even how long we will be with them.  That is why we must make the most of every day.


“Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”   Psalm 90:12 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We went to the Melting Pot Restaurant in Houston for our anniversary dinner.  

Here is our cheese fondue with apples, vegetables, and a variety of breads for dipping
Here is our steak, chicken, and shrimp along with our bouillon broth

The best part--chocolate fondue.  We picked the Ying Yang--dark and white chocolate.  
Bites of brownie, pound cake, rice crispies, chocolate covered marshmallows, graham covered marshmallows, strawberries, bananas, and a slice of cheesecake.  
Since it was our anniversary, they put a candle on the piece of cheesecake.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on 3 great years! We went to the melting pot in Denver when we were in college. Fun place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry! The Melting Pot is by far my favorite restaurant! :) Glad you guys got to enjoy a nice dinner during your travels. Know that you two are incredible examples of strength and your trials have also helped us to appreciate our time together more and take less for granted. Love to each of you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this - you are truly an inspiration to us and we are grateful to share in this trial with you and learn from you. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete