There was the card for my own father that I was looking for. While I know that Father's Day is simply a made up holiday, probably by Hallmark or something, I still like to honor my dad with a special gift or card. I am blessed beyond measure to have an incredible relationship with my father. He has been my loving support, biggest fan, confident, and prayer warrior, not only my whole life, but especially through the last several years. He was the one whom I first called after hearing of Eric's cancer diagnosis...the strong man who held me through my world falling apart with Eric's cancer and death...who was ever with me through my grief and figuring out how to live again...who made me laugh when it seemed impossible to. He was the one who took on the father figure to Landon for the first--almost two and a half years of his life while Landon was without a father....who got on his knees every night when we lived in Oklahoma and prayed for little Landon, for his life, for his character, that he would have an earthly daddy again someday, and most of all that he would grow up to love Jesus with his whole heart. So, there in Walgreens, I held back the tears looking for a card for my Daddy.
There was the card I was looking for for Bill, Eric's father. I know I will always have a special relationship with Bill. He is the closest thing, besides Landon of course, to Eric for me. I admire him and will always love him. I know Eric and him had such a special relationship. Eric, on many occasions would describe his father as his "best friend." So, there again, I stood in tears because so many of the cards just aren't appropriate or don't work for a man who has lost his son. The humor, words, or life situations the cards describe simply don't fit. I know Father's Day is hard for him, and so I do not want to make it harder with a card, but at the same time, want him to feel honored for the father he is and was.
Then there was the card I wanted to give Marc. A card from a wife to their husband, acknowledging their appreciation and admiration for the father they are to your children. I truly have the highest admiration for Marc taking on the role of being a father to Landon. He is an amazing father. He has taken his role seriously as he studies God's Word and what it calls us to as parents. Landon is blessed with Marc as his daddy, and it blesses me to see not only his love for Landon, but also Landon's love for Marc. I cried standing there at Walgreen's because I felt so blessed by Marc.
Finally, there was the card I wanted Landon to give to Marc. It would be Landon's first Father's Day card to be able to ever give that said, "Happy Father's Day!" While I had given cards to Landon's grandpa's each year, it was the first time I would ever get to pick out a "Daddy" card for Landon. Eric was not able to live to have a Father's Day with Landon. I wish that when I was pregnant with Landon, that we would have made more of a celebration with it, but Eric was so sick at the time, and I guess we just didn't realize the reality of him not being with us to celebrate after Landon was born. Again, tears of sadness that Eric wasn't able to have his first Father's Day, but tears of joy that Marc would be able to receive his first ever Father's Day card. Marc, a man who had desired to have a family for a long time was now being blessed with the opportunity to be apart of one, and Eric...having the eternal blessing of being with his Heavenly Father.
This year, as it was Marc's first Father's Day, he decided he wanted to spend it with his dad. He hadn't been able to do that since college due to the Navy and either being on a ship or overseas. So, we flew to Los Angeles and surprised his dad for Father's Day! We have had a great time with Marc's family here. Another thing we wanted to celebrate with family today was finding out the sex of our new baby which will be here in late October! Yes, we are having a baby, and we found out today, that it is a BOY! Landon will be a big brother! We praise the Lord that he truly is the giver of good things. We praise him for the life that he gives. We praise Him, for being our ultimate Father. Some people are blessed to have wonderful earthly fathers, while others have hurt or pain from a father, or lack of father in their lives. I've had my share of difficult Father's Day's, and I know that there might be hard ones again someday. With that, I cannot have a burden for people or friends whom I know today has been hard for. But, I praise God that, as Landon and I saw, He truly is the "Father to the Fatherless." (Ps. 68:5) And, today I thank him for the blessings and answers to prayer that he has done in our family. To God be the glory!
![]() |
| It's a BOY! |

No comments:
Post a Comment