Monday, May 2, 2011

On the journey


Yesterday marked the three month anniversary of Eric's death.  I don't know why, but the first day of each month never slips away without me noticing.  Probably it never will.  Some ask, "Does each day get easier?"  For me, with each day, the realization of Eric not being here sets in, making it harder.  My heart is filled with an unimaginable sadness, loneliness, and if I'm honest, sometimes bitterness and anger!  I have to continue to remind myself of who God is, what his promises are for me, and that his mercies are new every morning.  I don't know what I would do if they were not.  I miss Eric.  Everything and anything makes me think of him throughout each moment.  I feel I'm walking through a true valley with shadows all around.  I know my Lord is there, but I still must walk through this valley of grief.  It is not fun, and I do not like it, but this is the path God has chosen for me to walk, and someday I pray I can come to grips with it and find acceptance. 

 I may never understand why God did not step in and save the day by healing Eric on this earth. But, I take comfort that God DID step in and save the day when it mattered most --as far as Eric's eternity goes.  He came to this earth and died on the cross to save you, me, and Eric.  He gave us each the opportunity to follow him and have a relationship with him.  I am so thankful that Eric chose to follow Christ and entered into a personal relationship with Jesus at the age of 20 when some Air Force roommates of his in Florida shared with him about his need for a Savior.  I have no doubts that Eric is with the Lord now.  In fact, I often picture him in heaven worshiping the Lord....maybe even helping to lead worship...and I take comfort that someday I will see Eric again.     


As I reflected on Easter this year, my mind went back to where Eric and I were a year ago!  We had come to Enid where we spent Easter with my family and my cousins who had come down from Montana.  I remember how special church was on that day because we began telling people that we were going to have a baby!!  I was three months pregnant at the time, and since it was only early April, we still had no idea of Eric's cancer.  He didn't even have any symptoms at the time. I find myself doing that a lot lately--thinking where we were and what we were doing a year ago--since, right now, a year ago, we still didn't know of the cancer.  

 This Easter, I spent Easter without Eric, but with my dear little Landon, along with my family--parents, brother and his wife, and my dad's cousin Rita. 

Psalm 23:4
"Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,

I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me."

  


My handsome daddy and beautiful mother

All ready to eat Easter dinner


10 comments:

  1. Thank you Laura for sharing your beautiful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura, I love your honesty and will be praying for you and Landon. If you ever want to get away to KS, you know you have a place to stay! (and we've got all the baby stuff so that's much less packing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Laura! I often pray for you and Landon. He is SUCH A CUTIE!! And he is looking SO big! I love you lots, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura -

    I continue to follow your journey and pray for you often. I heard about your journey from a fellow friend of Eric from Rocky Bayou in Niceville. My husband was a B-1 guy and his road was so similar to Eric's. Mike "Igor" Phillips has been in heaven 15 months now after his battle with cancer. We have one daughter. I just want to let you know that I am not far from you in Texas and am walking your journey. The paperwork, the VA, DFAS, Social Security, even the HAP program... and all the emotions, heartache, tears, faith, and struggle. If you ever need advise, ask what did you do, or just to know you are not alone, please contact me. Our blog is www.inhishandandholdingontightly.blogspot.com. Hold on to Jesus and pour out everything to Him. He will carry you. I don't know how people walk this journey without Him. My prayers are always with you and Landon.
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura:

    Thank you for the opportunity to keep in touch with you and watch Landon grow. Thank you for the opportunity to get to know you and Eric through Emily and Michael. Thank you for the witness you and Eric provided to each of us. Thank you for sharing your faith and all that goes with it...human emotions and the struggle to rely on your faith when it hurts. Know we continue to pray for you as you walk through the valley..keep walking through it and don't get stuck in the low point of the valley....as you climb up from the valley feel all of us giving you support and helping you along the way. Each time I think of you and Eric I think of your quote as Eric struggled..."consider it joy" and remind myself, no matter the circumstances, consider it joy...we just have to search real hard to find the joy during the dark times...but it is there...

    With HIS abiding love
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your blog! It's beautifully written. I loved the one about taking it to the Lord in prayer. It really touched my heart. I knew Eric from Windom. His brother was my best friend in high school. My husband and I have been praying for you a lot in the past year. So glad we can see what's going on with you and Landen. I'm "following" you now, if that's okay.

    Tonee Hoff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I only met you once, I think of you and Landon often. Thank you for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,

    My name is Joy, and my husband and I knew your husband when he was in flight school in Pensacola. We prayed for you, we grieve with you, and you have continued to be on my mind.

    Your faith touches my heart and inspires me to persevere in my walk with the Lord. You've taught me a lot and I've never met you. I'm sure many, many others feel the same way I do.

    I had you on my prayer request list on my blog for the duration of Eric's cancer. Many people viewed your caringbridge page and I know the scripture you used and the way the Gospel flowed out of your life changed many hearts.

    You and your beautiful boy continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura,
    Your blogs are so real and honest. Thank you for sharing your heart! You continue to be in my prayers. May the Lord bless you beyond measure and be by your side every moment of every day.
    Landon is such a handsome young boy. He's so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy caring for him! Miss you!
    Ashley Malcom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura~
    I've thought of you often these past few months. I've prayed for you as well. My Mom said she saw you and Landon :). Thank you for sharing your heart openly. Let me know if I can ever help in any way.
    ~Corrie

    ReplyDelete