Sunday, April 29, 2012

Airport Breakfast Fly-In

Here are some pictures I took Saturday morning.  For about a year now, my dad has been taking Landon to the monthly airport breakfast fly-in here in Enid.  (If you don't know what that is, don't worry.  Before I flew into one with Eric, I didn't either.  It is when pilots all fly in their small planes from surrounding towns/airports and eat breakfast, talk about flying,...then fly away.)  This Saturday, I decided to go along. I had a wonderful time.

However, I've learned that with most things there are still some type of painful reminders attached. As I drove to the airport, I realized that the last time I was at that particular airport, was four summers ago when Eric flew us home from North Dakota in his Dad's Mooney airplane.  Now I was going there with my little boy without Eric. It was painful thinking about.  Somehow the unexpected triggers just come and I've learned to not be quite surprised when they hit.

Anyway, we had a great time. Landon loves to eat cinnamon rolls and so in between looking around at people and pointing at the airplanes (either the ones parked outside or the model ones hanging from the ceiling) he would stick the cinnamon roll in his mouth.

yumm!!

Grandpa E and Landon watching a plane take off!

Standing by a Mooney's tail at the fly-in

The owner of the Mooney let Landon sit inside it.  Landon's first ride in an airplane will be when Eric's dad is able to be here since he is a pilot and shared Eric's love for flying.
Eric and I next to "5890Q" (I still remember Eric always repeating that on the radio)

Here is when Eric and I flew home.  He flew over my parents farm.


Here was the fly-in we went to in Minnesota with Eric's family in 2009


2 comments:

  1. Laura, I am so thankful that your dad is so supportive of you and Landon and so active in your lives! He seems like an amazing man, a wonderful role model for Landon to look up to! Can't wait to hear about his first flight (when it happens) with his other amazing grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    You don't know me, but I have been following your journey for some time now. (A friend of mine lost her husband to the same ugly cancer, so she posted a prayer request on her blog.) I felt really bad (and a little sneaky!) reading about your life without introducing myself. :)

    Anyhow, today I had to make the time to say hi, and tell you how much I love Eric's choice on naming your son. Because...I also have a Landon! However, he is turning 17 next month (hold on, the years fly by!). Your blond Landon reminds me of my little guy when he was younger. My husband is also an air force pilot (but he's flies helicopters).

    I also want to tell you what an inspiration you are to all who read this blog. My prayer is that your sweet, precious boy have the faith and strength as his parents. The courage you and Eric showed (and that you continue showing!) is inspiring.

    I have (and will) continue to lift you and Landon up to our Lord Jesus. I pray He wraps His loving arms around you both daily! I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, and I can't give any advice on healing your heart (I don't think there is any!). But I do praise our Lord that He has (and always will) be there for you, and that He called Eric to be His own.

    Love in Christ,
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete